The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) operates in a dynamic and challenging environment. The scope and complexity of our safety mission will continue to grow, requiring that we fundamentally rethink how we will use data, information, and technology to achieve our safety goals.
In this context, PHMSA's leadership team has updated the agency's strategic framework. As part of this work, we have developed bold new vision and mission statements that better reflect our focus on innovation, and how essential PHMSA's safety mission is to the daily lives of Americans - allowing for the safe transportation of energy that heats our homes and powers our mobile devices.
PHMSA's mission is to protect people and the environment by advancing the safe transportation of energy and other hazardous materials that are essential to our daily lives. To do this, the agency establishes national policy, sets and enforces standards, educates, and conducts research to prevent incidents. We also prepare the public and first responders to reduce consequences if an incident does occur.
Our vision is to make PHMSA the most innovative transportation safety organization in the world.
We have outlined a set of long-term strategic goals and objectives that form the framework for the new PHMSA2021, and completed an assessment of PHMSA's operating model, organizational structure, capabilities, processes and culture.
- Promote continuous improvement in safety performance, including establishment of a framework and approach for implementing Safety Management Systems (SMS);
- Invest in safety innovation to become more proactive and forward-looking by building PHMSA's innovation and analytics capabilities and through partnerships;
- Build stakeholder and public trust through proactive and targeted outreach, engagement, responsiveness, and transparency;
- Cultivate organizational excellence and safety culture by investing in employees and key capabilities;
- Pursue operational excellence through consistent and efficient business processes and by transforming how PHMSA leverages data to drive decision-making.
Learn more about PHMSA 2021: http://online.pubhtml5.com/wefj/rrkc/